- Four 4-ounce salmon fillet portions
- 3 tablespoons spice mix (see below)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- Lightly oil the salmon, sprinkle with the spice mix and a pinch of salt. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Place the salmon spice side down, and sear until well browned.
- Remove and place in a 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.
- Remove from the oven and put on a serving plate. Top with the mushroom salad.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- ½ cup paprika
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- ⅓ cup ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. This makes a large batch, but stores well for future uses. You can make your own or use your favorite spice rub.
Mushroom and Tomato Salad
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stem removed, marinated for 15-20 minutes (see below)
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1-½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Splash of Red Diamond Merlot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Grill the portabella mushrooms and cool.
- Dice the mushrooms in ¾ inch dice.
- Place in a bowl with the other ingredients except the arugula.
- Mix well and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Check seasoning and then just before serving add the arugula and toss well.
Pair with Red Diamond MerlotDownload Recipe
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme salt and black pepper to taste